6.05.2013

SCHOOLHOUSE E&S Co. HACK: Porthole Mirrors

by rachel w.



When I saw the "Higgins Mirror with Rope Hanger" (pretentious name miright?) online, I decided it would be the perfect fit for my toddler's bedroom. And then I saw that it cost $315. There was NO way that I could justify spending that on one mirror for a Toddler's room, but I really loved it. I had to have it. So I got creative...


... and I am pretty pleased with how they turned out.  I'm thinking they would look great on a back porch as well. For now though, they hang happily to the side of my small fry's bed. I'm happy because I love how they look, and he's happy because he loves how he looks jumping up and down catching glimpses of his reflection. Hope you enjoy this tutorial, and as always, thanks for reading!

Supplies:
  • Sandpaper
  • Glue Gun
  • 1/4" Manilla Rope
  • Round Mirror 
  • Electrical Tape
  • Scissors
  • Spanish Copper Rub n' Buff 
  • Sock
  • 5/16" x 1-9/16" Steel/Zinc Plated Linchpin
  • Not pictured: Screw L Hook for hanging
Instructions:


Clean and sand your surface.

Put a little rub n' buff on that sock.

Apply, let dry, buff.

Ta. Da.

Fold rope in half, thread through linchpin.

Fold loose ends of rope over to form a loop and twist the length of the rope twice.

Secure with hot glue and 1/3 width of electrical tape.

Open linchpin and hot glue to back of mirror.


There ya have it! Let me know if you have any questions!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Super cute project. Love your face in that last pic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute. I want to do it. What does his whole room look like with it?

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover